Tanjung Lobang Lighthouse & World War II Memorial
Tanjung Lobang Lighthouse station was established in the 1930s in an area around Tanjong Lobang with beautiful & spectacular sea cliffs, and rich in history.
Many interesting geological features can be observed at Tanjong Lobang, including various types of fossils and sedimentary features that provide evidence for the deposition of the rocks in a shallow sea 9 to 15 million years ago.
Tanjong Lobang is where the Second World War came to Sarawak on 16th December 1941, a mere nine days after the bombing of Pearl Habor. The original lighthouse station built by the British had been destroyed during the invasion of the Japanese army, but the Governor's House, the first target of attack, still stand atop the headland.
Light house is active as of today; focal plane at forty-seven meters (154 feet); white flash every ten seconds. Sixteen meters (52 feet) square steel skeletal tower with gallery and enclosed upper section but no lantern. The lighthouse is white in color. The site is open, but tower closed to general public.
Next to the lighthouse is a Second World War Memorial, commemorating the many Sarawakian, Indonesian, Indian and Japanese who were engaged in developing Miri & Seria oil fields that died during the World War Two Japanese occupation of Sarawak. The memorial is a simple concrete slab with a commemoration plaque. This memorial is not easily accessible by the public.
What seems odd however, is that as of 2015 this particular memorial has seemingly become neglected in favor of the other much more accessible World War II mass grave located at Dato Abang Indeh Road, next to GCM. That mass grave had undergone renovations to be beautified and now dubbed "World War II Memorial Park", to be reopened by All Soul's Day in 2015.
Access for the Tanjung Lobang WWII Memorial & lighthouse is a bit restricted; the area is surrounded by school, and government and private properties.
Photo from here.