History

 
admin's picture

Coming of Age

On August 1st, 1960, the Miri General Hospital, which had for long been operated by the oil company with financial assistance from the government, was handed over to the government; with it went the Miri Ferry that connects between the peninsular and town - and the hospital -, all the concession land on the Miri Peninsula south of the Miri Golf Course, and all the houses, roads and utility services within that area.
admin's picture

A Little Excitement

And so things slowly improved. By 1921 or thereabouts, there were about 40 shophouses in Miri.
admin's picture

Rehabilitation

On June 10, 1945, troops of the Australian 9th Division occupied Labuan Island. Within 11 days, they had landed on the mainland and liberated Miri and Seria. They were met by a scene of devastation-blazing wells, demolished buildings and wrecked installations.

admin's picture

Royal Occasions

The other momentous event in 1957 was the decision made by the oil company to relinquish some 75% of the land concession in the hinterland of Sarawak after explorationary surveys had shown no indications of oil.

admin's picture

'The Oil Town'

The successful discovery of offshore oil in the 1970s triggered a fresh development boom in Miri; luxury hotels were built, more houses constructed and new shopping centers and industrial estates established. Miri ranked as the second most important commercial town in Sarawak after Sibu town.
admin's picture

1997 Flight BI238 Royal Brunei Crash

On Saturday, 6th September 1997, flight BI238, a Dornier 228-212 operating for Royal Brunei Airlines leased from Merpati Intan which plied the Labuan - Bandar Seri Begawan - Miri route on a regular basis, crashed in Lambir Hills.

admin's picture

Map of Lutong in 1994

The map of Lutong, in 1994.

admin's picture

Map of Miri in 1994

See what's changed since 1994. Where were you in 1994?

Pages

...
Subscribe to History