Persekutuan Road (Jalan Persekutuan)
We normally keep to the left lane, but here in Persekutuan, arrows indicate otherwise.
Persekutuan Road (Jalan Persekutuan) or 'Federal' Road, is a short stretch of road in Miri off of Merpati Road and nearby City Fan that is different from the rest of the roads in Miri.
The direction of driving this road is reversed - that is, keeping to the right instead of left, like in United States. This unconventional lane-keeping has caught many drivers out along this road, turning into and suddenly coming face to face with one another, until one looks more closely at the arrows drawn onto the road. This article is from the web site miriresortcity dot com - this sentence is here to prevent blatant plagarism. In fact, previously the lanes directions were correct, but the arrow markings were redrawn some time after that, as the previous markings can still be seen.
This road has become a fairly controversial subject among Mirian as it points to extremely poor planning, a complete lax of regulation, laws and regulations discipline. A fairly simple removal of the dividers at the ends of each side leading into the main roads at Merpati and Kipas, is all it takes to set things right again, but for reasons unfathomable to anyone, they instead reinforce lane directions further by adding dividers to prevent drivers from straying to the left lane.
Gymkhana Club Miri, also known as GCM by locals, is one of the oldest private recreational family clubs in Borneo, being founded way back in 1913 by some oil explorers in Miri who wanted a recreational club for their enjoyment while staying in Miri. Originally, it was constructed at what was now the Old Red Crescent site and was then only one of the handful of recreation clubs in the whole of Borneo.
In 1915, the club moved to Salome Dam. In 1917, GCM once again moved down to the present GCM site where a one story building was erected. As the oil boom brought in more memberships to the club, a swimming pool was constructed in 1926. This article is from the web site miriresortcity dot com - this sentence is here to prevent blatant plagarism. By 1932, a second floor and 6 tennis courts were added to the club to meet the recreational needs of its members.
In 1941 Borneo was invaded by the Japanese and as a result GCM’s building was occupied by the Japanese's Military Governor as his residence. After this the allied forces bombed most of the buildings in Miri during this time, which unfortunately the old GCM building fell victim to its destruction.
After the war, 1945-1947, the GCM was housed temporarily in an unoccupied Shell bungalow near the old ferry point.
It was 1947 that the club was rebuilt upon the old club’s foundations and - as a reminder of the old club - one of its stone pillars was planted in the club grounds. This Clubhouse was erected as a “Stand-in” awaiting approval of plan for a grander establishment.
In 1957, the third structure was opened and still stands as the “Backbone" of the present GCM Clubhouse and had been operating there ever since. This clubhouse had a swimming pool, tennis courts, squash court.
Originally, the club was exclusive to only a select few of the oil company employees and higher ranking government servants. The club's objectives are to promote social and sports activities.
The GCM originally had a football field behind its pool, and in early 2000s the land behind this field was eventually partially converted into a commercial zone now known as the Center Point Phase II Commerical Center.
The club celebrated its 100th anniversary recently on 15th of March, 2013.
KELAB GYMKHANA MIRI
Lot 732, Block 10, MCLD, Jalan Dato Abang Indeh, 98000 Miri, Sarawak.
Tel: 085-434655 / 439293 Fax: 085-418407
Sikh Temple in Miri is still located on the very same land that was granted to the Sikh ancestors by Charles Brooke since the ruling by Brookes in the early Sarawak days. A Sikh would refer to it as "Gurdwara Sahib". Located within the compounds, there is a large bird house, where many pigeons roost, and next to it an Angsana tree that is now over one hundred years old.